Weddings at Saint Matthew's
"Those whom God has joined together let no one put assunder"
Weddings at Saint Matthew's are generally reserved for members (or relatives of members). Only on rare occasions, at the Rector's discretion, will Saint Matthew's host the weddings of non-members. The following general requirements apply for all weddings at Saint Matthew's:
- One of the persons to be married must be a baptized Christian.
- The couple must contact Saint Matthew's to schedule a wedding no less than six (6) months prior to the desired date.
- A minimum of three (3) counseling sessions with the Rector is required to explore some of the theological, spiritual, and emotional aspects of marriage the Church affirms. When geographic considerations make it impractical to do this at Saint Matthew’s, the couple, in consultation with the Rector, can arrange for similar counseling where they reside. Alternative arrangements for counseling must be approved by the Rector.
- No publicity or sending of invitations should occur until the Rector has met with the couple and indicated his consent to officiate at the wedding.
- The couple must have a valid wedding license at the time of the wedding (licenses are valid for 90 days from date they are issued). Click here for information about applying for a wedding license in Rhode Island.